2014 Bandit Rules and Events
Madison International Speedway
2014 Bandit Rules
Updated: 1-27-2014 (Download PDF)
The Guidelines and/or regulations set forth herein are designed to provide for the orderly conduct of racing events and to establish minimum acceptable requirements for such events. These guidelines shall govern the condition of events and participation therein. They are intended as a guide for the conduct of events and are in no way a guarantee against injury or death to a participant, spectator, or official. The Director of competition, or his authorized designate, shall be empowered to permit minor deviation from any of the guidelines and or regulations herein, or impose any further restriction, which, in his or her opinion, does not alter the purpose of the organization. Deviation of these guidelines and or regulations will be the responsibility of MIS officials, whose decisions are final.
**Periodic Rules Adjustments**
MIS may change any rule at any time in an effort to reduce the cost of racing, maintain equal competition, or improve safety.
**Rules Infraction Policy**
MIS management may suspend and fine any driver, team member, or car owner for violation of track rules, policies, or procedures. Management has right to confiscate any item that is in violation of the rules.
B. CAR ELIGIBILITY
E. TIRES AND WHEELS
F. ROLL CAGE
I. FUEL TANK
K. STEERING WHEEL
1. This is a stock, unmodified, front wheel drive only 4 cylinder class
2. Absolutely NO modifications or enhancements other than what is specified by these rules will be allowed
3. In certain rare circumstances where deviations from the rules do not give the car any advantage and may be more economical or practical, you may ask for an exemption.
4. In general, if something is not allowed in a “higher” division, it won’t be allowed here.
5. NO Honda CRX’s allowed
B. Car Eligibility
1. Any front wheel drive (no AWD or 4WD) passenger car, model year 2003 and older, with a wheelbase of 92” to 107”.
2. Factory OEM for make, model, and year with stock 4 cylinder engine.
3. Body, frame, floor pans must be complete and unmodified, except where rules allow trimming
4. No rear wheel drive cars or trucks
5. All doors must be welded, chained, or bolted shut
6. Hood and trunk must be secured with two or more hood pins. Hood inner supports may be removed.
7. All glass (head, tail, and marker lights) except windshield, must be removed
8. You may replace the windshield with lexan. Lexan windshield requires a center brace.
9. Plastic, trim, and items that could break, burn, or fall off, must be removed in and outside the car
10. Skirts, hood scoops front air dam and a 3” max height rear spoiler may be installed for cosmetic purposes only
11. You may relocate the battery. If in driver’s compartment, must be covered with a marine case or similar
12. Battery must have steel to steel tie downs
13. Anything that can be unbolted (hinges, brackets, etc) may be removed
14. After market nose pieces are allowed
15. “Rub rails” allowed between front and rear wheel wells. Ends must be chamfered and capped (no sharp edges)
CAR TYPE MOTOR (LITER) Minimum Weight (LBS.)
1. NEON 2.0 SOHC 2450
2. NEON 2.0 DOHC 2500
3. ESCORT GT 1.8 2400
4. ESCORT 2.0 2400
5. FORD PROBE 2.0 2350
6. EAGLE TALON 2.0 2500
7. INTEGRA 1.8 2450
8. PRELUDE V-TECH 2.2 2750
9. PRELUDE 2.2 SOHC 2450
10. NISSAN SENTRA 2.0 2500
11. NISSAN SENTRA 2.5 2800
12. CAVALIER 2.2 2350
13. CAVALIER 2.4 2500
14. SATURN 1.9 DOHC 2400
15. Base weight for any other type of car will be 2400 lbs. This weight will be confirmed or adjusted when you return for next racing event.
16. Feature winner will add 75 lbs. to his/her spec weight for his/her next racing event. Penalty weight must be added to the center area of car - so as not to improve left side weight percentage from his winning weights of the prior week. Driver & car must race with this penalty weight for 2 weeks. If haven’t won during that time, the weight penalty is deleted. If wins again during those 2 weeks another 75 lbs. will be added, for a total of 2 penalties or 150 lbs., and again, if wins for a third time before 2 weeks passes, a 3rd penalty will be added, bringing the total to 225 lbs. Weight penalties will continue in this manor for additional feature wins. NONE of the penalty weight may be removed until driver/car has raced for 2 weeks with the penalty weight and not won. After that all of the penalty weight may be removed.
17. All weights include driver
18. All weights will be securely bolted (2 bolts of 1/2” diameter per piece minimum, with large washers or sandwich plates) to frame or cage, be painted white, and have car number on it.
1. Must remain stock for make, model, and year.
2. The only optional exceptions are as follows:
a. You may run camber on the front and rear wheels, no limit.
b. You may heat or cut springs to lower the car. Except for exhaust components, minimum ground clearance is 4 1/4” for any part, after the race
c. You may use any steel spring that fits in the stock location.
d. Suspension must move up and down in a conventional manor (cannot be solid or limited)
e. Spring rubbers, clamps or threaded collars on springs not allowed
f. Sway bar links must be of equal length side to side, or disconnected
g. Adjustments to rear toe or rear steer will be limited to 2” maximum. This will be measured by laying a straight edge on the right rear tire, extending to the right front tire, and measuring how far outside of the front tire this straight edge is. The limit will be 2”. Penalties (see below) will apply for out of tolerance situations.
E. Tires and Wheels
1. New street tires that cost $68 MSRP or less each, (we check national internet sites to verify price)
Examples of tires that fit our rules :
Doral SDL60 185/60R14
Doral SDL60 195/60R14
Doral SDL70 195/70R14
Hankook Optimo H418 185/65R14
Sumitomo HTR T4 195/60R14
2. MIS reserves the right to disallow any tire that we feel resembles a performance type tire. If in doubt, call for approval of a tire prior to purchase.
3. Track may claim any tire at any time for $60-no questions asked
4. You may trim around the wheel wells for tire clearance
5. Wheels must be steel, max 6” wide, all four the same diameter (no aluminum or magnesium)
6. You may run aftermarket heavy-duty wheels, minimum numerical backspace of 3 1/2” (example: 4”, 4 1/2”, 5” are allowed, and 3", 2 1/2", 2” not allowed). Wheels of 3 1/2” backspacing will not be allowed to use wheel spacers. All other wheels will be allowed to use wheel spacers up to 1/2” thick.
7. 1” lug nuts are required on the right wheels, it’s encouraged to use them on all four
8. Tires must be same size/series per axle, (example P185/65R14 and P195/65R14 on same axle not allowed)
9. Lug nut threads must be visible on outside of lug nuts (if not need longer wheel studs)
F. Roll Cage
1. Minimum four points around the driver 1 3/4” diameter .090” wall, mild steel. No exhaust tubing or water pipe.
2. Roll cage must be sufficiently welded to floor/rocker box, or welded to sandwich plate bolted to floor
3. Top of rollcage must be reinforced to the rear with two bars, either to spring towers or rear frame
4. Spring towers may be connected side to side, at both front and rear suspension.
5. Main roll bar behind driver must contain a diagonal bar
6. Minimum of 3 door bars, driver side and passenger side
7. Driver side door bars must be covered with steel deflector plate, 1/8” min. thickness
8. Minimum of 5 side to side bars:
a. top of main hoop,
b. bottom of main hoop about 4” above floor
c. middle of main hoop directly behind seat
d. top front of cage by windshield, and
e. at front of cage at dash height
9. No bars through the front firewall, except recommended foot protection bar.
10. The cage must protect the driver and will be thoroughly inspected for safety
11. Use good common sense; consult persons experienced in building and welding
12. Safety padding required around driver (door bars and roll cage bars)
13. You may skin door panels for installing roll cage
1. Window Nets Mandatory with seat belt style release at front top cage upright
2. Firesuit, racing gloves, & eye protection mandatory
3. Ignition Kill Switch-Mandatory in center of car, MUST BE LABELLED
4. Helmet-Snell SA-2005 (SFI 31.1 2005) or newer. Snell “M” helmets not allowed.
5. Fire Extinguisher Mandatory, securely mounted within driver’s reach, fully charged, dial type
6. Tow Hooks: A secure towing device (hook, chain, cable, etc) MUST be in place both front and rear, securely fastened, labeled and/or painted bright color, and located so as not to present a hazard in the event of contact
7. Paint and Numbers
a. No spray bomb numbers
b. Numbers must be neat appearing and at least 18” high on both doors and on roof readable from right side. Numbers must be in contrasting color to that of body color.
c. If your number is a duplicate, officials may assign an initial to your number
8. 3” minimum width lap and shoulder harness, dated 2009 or newer. Crotch strap required.
9. Belts must be anchored to roll cage or OEM anchors. Belt anchors must swivel. Grade 5 hardware required.
10. Shoulder harness must not be anchored lower than 2” below driver’s shoulder height
11. Aluminum racing seat required, securely fastened to cage or frame
12. Head rest support behind seat required
13. Shoulder supports and head supports on right and left sides of seat recommended
14. Drivers compartment must be sealed off from engine compartment and fuel container
15. Access to driver from right side by emergency personnel required
16. MIS officials will monitor items related to safety, but ultimately it is the responsibility of the driver to monitor, maintain, and update his safety equipment.
1. Must lock all four wheels
2. No aftermarket brake proportioning valves
3. No drilling or drilled rotors
4. Stock components only, (no aftermarket)
I. Fuel Tank
1. Stock fuel tank located in front of rear wheels can be left there but must be secure (no rusted straps)
2. All other fuel tanks or fuel cells must be:
a. mounted in the trunk area between the rear wheels as far forward as possible,
b. mounted on top of floor pan, and
c. protected from rear collision.
3. Tanks must be fastened with steel straps, bolts, and oversized washers
4. A complete steel firewall must be between the tank and the driver’s compartment. If car came as a hatchback style, and fuel cell is in rear trunk area, a firewall will have to be built into car. If questions ask MIS officials.
5. Fuel cells are recommended, 8 gallon maximum.
1. Exhaust must run under the car, at least to behind the driver’s seat
2. No flex pipe
3. All cars 95 decibel maximum.
4. No dual exhaust or aftermarket headers
K. Steering Wheel
1. You may replace or modify the steering column to accommodate a removable wheel
1. Strictly stock for make, models, and year 4 cylinder SOHC or DOHC engines (no turbos or superchargers)
2. No aftermarket performance parts
3. Air cleaner must be stock, unmodified (stock style paper element and stock intake system/box)
4. You may remove unnecessary parts and wiring (A/C compressors, smog pumps, etc)
1. Safety is the number one concern. If you have questions about cages, seats, fuel cells, etc. please ask MIS officials – we are here to help.
2. Anything we see that may pose a threat to injure or cause damage will be required to be corrected
3. This class will not allow manipulating the rules to your advantage
4. No two-way radios
5. Cars will present a favorable image meaning dents should be pulled and paint retouched week to week.
6. We all should strive to present a true image of sportsmanship-behave and drive accordingly
7. This is not an “anything goes” demolition style class.
8. Drivers wishing to return to this division after competing in a “higher” division will not be allowed. You may however contact MIS promoter to plead your case prior to season or race event.
9. Team driving will be allowed, maximum of two drivers and one car per team. When the team car is racing that evening, the other driver of race team will not be allowed to compete in that division on that same night. Championship points will be awarded to this team using the same rules as for individual driver cars. Teams must register as such with the promoter before the first night of the racing season. Each driver must race a minimum of 3 nights.
10. Championship points will be awarded per your finishing position. If drivers are disqualified, drivers behind them will advance.
11. Transponders required, locate 150” behind front edge of car (to center of transponder), with clear view of track.
12. MIS reserves the right to CLAIM any car at any time for $1,250. It does not include the driver’s seat or seat belts. If a claim is refused, driver will forfeit all points, and driver and car will not be allowed to compete for the remainder of the season.
1. All cars are subject to inspection ANYTIME before, during, or after a race
2. Officials reserve the right to disqualify cars, require changes, confiscate illegal parts etc. The decision of the officials is final, and will be based upon fair play, safety, and to protect the “Spirit of Stock Car Racing”.
3. Any interference with any official(s) and his/her duties will result in an automatic disqualification, and/or possible suspension.
4. Official’s decisions will be based upon fair play, safety, and to protect the “Spirit of Stock Car Racing”
5. Disqualification (except weight violation) is retroactive to ALL previous events competed in that race meet
6. Non-compliance with the specifications outlined here will subject the driver/owner to disqualification
7. Any driver/owner refusing to allow the track officials to inspect his car will lose points and money earned and will have the subject car impounded until inspection is performed.
8. Driver must provide tools.
The chart shown below will be applied for violations as listed. Once a penalty has been applied, a subsequent violation will be counted as 2nd offense, etc., regardless of category. Also, on championship night, manipulation of this system to improve your position in the point standings will not be allowed.
WEIGHT 1 TO 10 lbs. Lite 1st Offense Warning 0
2nd Offense 10 points 0
3rd Offense 20 points $30
10 TO 30 lbs. Lite 1st Offense 10 points $15
2nd Offense 20 points $25
3rd Offense 40 points $35
OVER 30 lbs. Lite 1st Offense DQ DQ
REAR TOE 2.1” TO 3” 1st Offense Warning 0
OR REAR STEER 2nd Offense 10 points 0
3rd Offense 20 points $30
3.1” TO 4” 1st Offense 10 points $15
2nd Offense 20 points $25
3rd Offense 40 points $35
OVER 4.1” 1st Offense 20 points $35
2nd Offense DQ DQ